10.30.2011

{costume} la calavera catrina

your innkeeper transformed into the queen of the underworld this weekend...


i designed my very own version of "la calavera catrina" ("the elegant skull") to wear for halloween and dia de los muertos celebrations...


this character is thought to have originated as mictecacihuatl, ancient aztec goddess of the underworld who watches over the bones of the dead...


my inspiration for this costume started earlier this year at burning man. it began with the stunning skeleton boatman in the stroboscopic zoetrope "charon" and intertwined with neighbors who painted intricate body art daily. i became fascinated with the imagery as well as the artistry...


i am compelled by this character because it is a juxtaposition of the macabre and the beautiful; death is playfully adorned with colorful ornamentation.

it was so much fun to create this costume - dramaturgical research, an inspiration board, an embroidered vintage dress, glittery flowers and feathers, detailed face painting...joy!

have any of you created or worn costumes this year? this theatre girl would love to hear about your fine frippery...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, you look amazing!!!!

no Halloween costume for me this year, I'm afraid.

pigwidget said...

...you look most impressive - alas I have little patience (or time) for elaborate make-up, but I did put togther a little costume to wear out with the punklings trick-or-treating (photo on my blog)... you will be pleased to hear I am re-embracing my artist child and this was part of that re-attachment - something that has not had a chance to come out and play for a long while. I love playing dress-up - the fancier the better!

Mary said...

Impressive, Diane! I love the thought that went behind this costume. It's amazing.

I took an old pirate dance costume from my high-school days, threw on a bandana and an eye patch and headed into school. Nothing impressive, at all.

I do have fond memories of my mom making our Halloween costumes when we were young. They were amazing.

Jo said...

You look so beautiful!! I love all of the thought and care that went into this, and I especially love the meaning behind it. A beautiful juxtaposition to be sure...much like many things in this life.
Feliz Dia De Los Muertos!

oands said...

your so cute.