1.03.2011

new year tradition: in a word

as i mentioned in my new year's eve post, i have a tradition that i started when i first moved to san francisco.

on the last day of the year, i sit in my studio and create a magical bag full of words to share...


i carry this bag with me throughout the evening and offer it to people with the following statement:

this is a bag of words.

would you like to choose one?

it is up to you what to do with it.

you could embrace it as a mystical message for the year ahead.

you could simply ponder its meaning for a moment.

you could peek at it, laugh, and recycle it
at the nearest waste receptacle.

it's up to you...would you like to choose one?

it gives me such joy when people choose a word from the bag.

there are always a variety of responses: delight, silence, laughter, confusion, and recognition.

i often hear enthusiastic stories, explanations of personal meaning, and ruminations on possibilities for the coming year.

some people forget this word completely after pulling it from the bag, and some people still have this word in their wallet from many years ago.

i truly love this interaction and exchange between two humans on the verge of a new year.

at some point in the evening, i always choose my own word from the bag.

my word this year is...


this word makes complete sense to me for the year ahead and i was thrilled to be holding it in my hand.

i still have a few words left in my magical bag, and i would really love to give them to anyone who wants to participate.

would you like me to choose a random word out of the bag for you?

if so, i will pull one from the bag, photograph it, and email it to you!

leave me a comment with your information and i will send you your word.

what you do with it is up to you...

22 comments:

Skooks said...

What a fun tradition! I'll take a word. :)

diane said...

skooks...thanks so much! your word has been sent. xo

a blog about the little things said...

This is so magical sounding!
Yes, I would like a word to ponder.
p.s. what a wondrous word you picked for yourself!
@buttercupcaren on twitter
caren(at)teachickadees(dot)com

jackiebean said...

hi diane! i would love to have a word, too. what a cool tradition! and i couldn't have imagined a better word than 'art' for you. xo

rootandflowerart at gmail dot com

thanks!

diane said...

caren...i love magical! your word has been sent. xo

diane said...

jackie...so excited you joined the tradition! your word has been sent. xo

cb said...

what a cute idea! i would love a word if there are any still available! here is my email ccpb83@gmail.com

yay!

xo,
cb

diane said...

cb...thank you! i just sent your word. enjoy! xo

a blog about the little things said...

Thanks so much for my word, Diane!
I will put it to good use. :)
http://www.teachickadees.com/2011/01/word-risk.html

Astrid said...

Oh if there is anymore left I would love one! I have been feeling like thinking about something like that and how I need to think and ponder. My email is vintagepup@gmail.com

xox

astrid

diane said...

astrid...oh yes! there is indeed a word for you in my bag. i just sent it to you now. your blog is lovely and i just became a new follower. <3

Tricia said...

OOOH! I want a word, I want a word!

diane said...

tricia...your enthusiasm makes me so happy! your word has been sent. :)

Anonymous said...

I'll take one!

diane said...

mim...yay! i'm happy that you want a word. i just sent it to the email listed in your profile. i love your new picture! xo

Emily said...

Word, please! A friend once gave me a set of words like this, and for a while I pulled one every day (or whenever I remembered)...I really love that you have this as a tradition.

Unknown said...

I would love to have one of your remaining words : )

diane said...

emily...besos, beautiful! i just sent your word. we love + miss you. xo

diane said...

christina...with pleasure, my dear. your word has been sent.

Kagan said...

Diane! I think this project is amazing and magical. Do you have any words left? Is there one there for me?

This is my first visit to your blog and I can already tell it's a place to be. Let me know if I can play along, it's so good to connect with you! xO

diane said...

kagan...i'm delighted that we've connected! your word awaits you in your email. here's to a wonderful year ahead. :)

Ratty Hugs said...

I would love a word, you may guide my destiny....
TuckerDeRatt @ yahoo.com