11.28.2011

{symbol} nunquam dormio

i am fascinated by this image...

the first time i saw it, i was riding my bike in the desert. it was very late at night, and i was a weary burning man traveler who suddenly discovered an exquisite tea temple out in the middle of the playa...



the tea temple was a peaceful respite from the harsh desert winds and constant chaotic activity. i left my dusty boots at the door and entered a space where a calm, thoughtful camp was brewing and serving tea. the vibe was soothing, the voices hushed, the faces content. pillows were arranged around low, circular tables. generous people kept filling my cup with steamy oolong tea while i rested within the warm tent walls...



i have no idea how long i stayed at the tea temple, but when i left i felt completely restored. every day after that i rode by the tent and looked gratefully at the sign on top...



according to my research, nunquam dormio is latin for i never sleep.

the image showed up again this week in a book i am reading: pronoia by rob brezsny.

and i am once again pulled by it.

right now i think of it literally - as the tea temple, a physical space that is perpetually open for weary travelers. i also consider it a metaphorical symbol - as the peaceful place within myself that is always awake, aware, and available for respite and rejuvenation...


3 comments:

keishua said...

Wow, that sounds really interesting. I am really loving that it is connected to the tea temple and weary travelers. I might need an image for my home as I need some refreshing these days.

pigwidget said...

...and as the hostess of 'The Dew Drop Inn', you are providing a similar, if virtual, 'tea temple' of your own for weary artists seeking rest, recuperation and rejuvenation :) Thank you, dearest Innkeeper, xo

Susie Wilson said...

The restaurant/bar that my sweet man owned here in Milwaukee (before he came to meet/fetch me from California) was called Nessun Dorma. It is taken from an Italian opera if I recall. Love the imagery and the fantasy of a desert tea house. XO.