11.07.2011

{creativity} coffee + alchemy

"cafeona" is the spanish word for the smell of roasting coffee beans...


every monday my clothes exude this aroma.

at the beginning of each week, i spend two hours in a coffee shop with my best friend benjamin.

we meet to work on "the alchemy project" which is an artist collective that we invented...


"the alchemy project" grew out of our work on julia cameron's vein of gold. we met weekly for over a year to complete the process and decided that it was important to keep this creative routine alive.

traditional alchemy was the idea that base metals could be transmuted into gold. our modern version of alchemy is the idea that we work magic with the stuff of our everyday lives, transforming it into art...


at each meeting, we discuss what is happening for us artistically and set specific creative intentions for the week ahead. the inn was imagined and brought to life through this process and continues to evolve because of it.

our monday meetings have been absolutely vital in my artistic life. my behavior and thinking have changed dramatically. plus, i get to drink a double macchiato with my best friend and soak in the "cafeona" at the start of each week...


dear guests, do you have a creative support partner or group? i would love to read about it...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds great. i'd love to be part of a group or have at least a few people to share ideas with. I've been thinking about an online project. I'm way too mobile these days to do something based in real life...

Courtney said...

I have to confess, I'm a bit jealous of this part of your routine. I'd love to have a creative co-conspirator.

pigwidget said...

As you are aware, I am currently going through the process of The Artist's Way among a creative cluster of three :) Only half way through we are already discussing the possibility of continuing our cluster and studies with Julia's Vein of Gold and/or The Renaissance Soul (by Lobenstein)... I just spent a while watching that TED video: awesome and so, so true! Hugs dear artistic soul friend :D

Mary said...

This sounds like the nicest way to start the week.

My creative support comes from (my) Benjamin although he's my general supporter/encourager. I love the idea of meeting someone each week with a creative intention. Beautiful. Need to make this happen...